October 20, 2022
I hope you, your family, friends, and colleagues are doing well.
It was fantastic to see so many members in Toronto for our Annual Meeting last month, and I look forward to seeing many more in person for our events next year.
As the end of 2022 quickly approaches, it has never been more important to focus on business development plans for your personal book of business and practice group as well as strategic areas of client engagement.
The uncertainties in our global economy, the lingering reality of COVID (as the virus continues to mutate), and shifting political landscapes continue to push the legal industry into various challenges and uncharted territories. Adding pressure to all this is the constant tug of war with Big Law/global law firms for quality talent.
To further support our members, SCG is strengthening efforts that offer collaboration across multiple jurisdictions to generate referral opportunities, share business development and operational best practices, and highlight thought leadership while supporting activities that enable cooperation in delivering value to clients and retaining the best talent possible.
I am confident no matter where a network member or client has interests, an SCG member is providing the guidance and influence necessary to navigate critical legal, humanitarian, political, and regulatory matters.
Our community is growing…gaining strength and value…and this truth is reinforced every time we proactively reach out to each other to learn how we can partner with and better support one another.
As you and your firm plan for 2023, I encourage you to think strategically about the community of firms, targeted benefits, and practical value that shape SCG Legal’s effectiveness. Reach out to us for assistance in connecting you with network firms, for help navigating the changes and challenges in our industry, and to generate and support referral and cross-sell opportunities.
As part of SCG’s business plan for 2023, we will continue to organize webinars, podcasts, and virtual events—such as meetings that focus on practice areas and regions—to provide as many business and professional development opportunities as possible for our members. Also, in addition to our own in-person Midyear and Annual meetings, we are currently evaluating potential sponsorships/networking events at the industry conferences noted below. Please let me know as soon as possible if your firm is planning to have attorneys attend any of these events so we can coordinate across the network to connect members for cross-sell and referral opportunities.
- American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI) Annual Meeting |Washington DC | April 20 – 22, 2023
- INSOL Europe Annual Meeting | Amsterdam | October 12 – 15, 2023
- International Bar Association (IBA) | Paris | October 29 – November 3, 2023
If there are other large industry/practice-focused conferences where SCG should consider having a presence or coordinating member meetups (when there is significant network representation), please let me know. Our goal is to provide as many networking and professional development opportunities as possible in 2023 so members can continue to build relationships and client connections across the community.
As always, we appreciate your support and participation in our member activities. In addition to News from the Network, please find below details about SGC’s 2023 Midyear and Annual meetings, along with a look back at last month’s 2022 Annual Meeting in Toronto and a look forward to SCG’s 2023 Board Members.
Your thoughts on what would best help you and your firm are always welcome. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me with your questions or suggestions.
A Look Back: 2022 Annual Meeting – Toronto
Thank you to each and every participant—it was a wonderful to see you in person!—and for anyone who could not attend: You were very much missed!
The 2022 Annual Meeting in Toronto was a great success with attendees and speakers representing 80+ firms from 34 countries including the majority of U.S. states and provinces/territories in Canada. ?Click HERE for a link to some pictures taken during the event.
In follow up, as promised, a video link for each presentation/panel is offered below (session name is linked to the recording) as well as archived with additional details (including panel descriptions and speaker names) on the event page webpage: scglegal.com/2022Toronto.
- Welcome & Opening Remarks (click HERE and HERE for slides)
- Keynote: What is the Power of the Courts and Rule of Law to Solve Complex Social and Political Issues
- Fireside Chat: The Generation Gap – Recruiting and Retention Strategies to Help Win the War for Talent (click HERE for slides)
- In-House Counsel Panel
- Law Firm Leaders Panel: Building a Brighter Future
- Keynote: The World Ahead: The New Reality Emerging in The Wake of the Pandemic and the War on Ukraine…and What It Means for Labor Market Dynamics, International Trade and Business Economics (click HERE for slides)
- Breakout – Global Cross-Border Mergers & Acquisitions: Assessing the Risks & Rewards
- Breakout – Intellectual Property Trends to Watch in 2022 & Beyond
- Breakout – Supply Chain & International Trade
- Breakout – Cybersecurity/GDPR + Data Privacy Outlook & Review
- The Intersection of Business of Law and Technology (click HERE for slides)
SCG Legal extends a special and sincere ‘Thank You!’ to host firm — WeirFoulds LLP (Canada: Ontario) — for its significant contributions to and generous support of the 2022 Annual Meeting.
2023 Midyear Meeting: May 11 – 12, Berlin (Germany)
Registration will open next week for our Berlin meeting. Invitations will also be emailed to our network starting November 1. This mid-year event will be grounded in timely, insightful professional and business development programming while offering generous opportunities for networking.
Expect to exchange vital information, develop critical connections, gain access to essential resources and enhance key skills that will better serve you, your practice, your firm and your clients.
The agenda is in development.?However, the anticipated themes will focus on economic and behavioral influences that will shape the legal landscape over the next 3 – 5 years as well as a panel presentation on macroeconomic predictions for 2023/2024, industry expectations, and how global challenges could offer opportunities for our member firms to work together.
Over the course of two thoughtfully orchestrated days, numerous networking opportunities will surround dynamic, interactive subject matter experiences including:
- In-House Counsel Roundtable
- Best Practices in Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG)
- Managing Partners Panel
- Women in Law Activities
- Employment Law Discussion
- Cybersecurity/Privacy and GDPR Practice Outlook
- Bankruptcy and Insolvency Practice Forecasts
Numerous other practice group-focused topics will be added to the agenda over the next few weeks. If you are interested in participating as a speaker or have suggestions for session/panel/discussion topics, please email Erin Kane (email@example.com) and we will follow up with you.
Save the Date!
2023 Annual Meeting: September 21 – 22, New Orleans (USA: Louisiana)
Details coming soon!
SCG Legal 2023 Officers and Board Members
As part of the agenda for SCG Legal’s 2022 Annual Meeting in Toronto, the nominee slates for 2023 Officers and 2023 Board of Directors were presented.? 2022 Board Chair Kelley B. Duke announced the nominees during her welcome remarks to attendees. Each slate was unanimously approved by the member firm voting representatives in attendance.
Below are the approved 2023 Officers and Board Members.
2023 Officers (Term starts November 1, 2022)
- Chairman: Mark Dunphy, Partner, Hall & Wilcox (Australia: Melbourne)
- Vice Chairman: Paul B. Plunkett, Shareholder, Larkin Hoffman (Minnesota)
- Secretary: M. Celeste Bruce, Partner, Rifkin Weiner Livingston (Maryland)
- Treasurer: Fabio J. Guzmán Saladin, Partner, Guzmán Ariza (Dominican Republic)
- Dr. Thomas Bähler, Partner, Kellerhals Carrard (Switzerland)
- Kenneth C. Baldwin, Partner, Robinson & Cole (Connecticut)
- Lisa Borsook, Executive Partner, WeirFoulds (Canada: Ontario)
- M. Celeste Bruce, Partner, Rifkin Weiner Livingston (Maryland)
- Erika Carrasco, Partner, Field Law (Canada: Alberta)
- Mark Dunphy, Partner, Hall & Wilcox (Australia: Melbourne)
- Fabio J. Guzmán Saladin, Partner, Guzmán Ariza (Dominican Republic)
- Eugene ‘Matt’ E. Mathews III, Partner, McGuireWoods (Virginia)
- Stephan Menzemer, Partner, Graf von Westphalen (Germany)
- Thaddeus ‘Thad’ E. Morgan, Shareholder, Fraser Trebilcock (Michigan)
- Tom Pickthorn, Partner, Mills & Reeve (United Kingdom)
- Paul B. Plunkett, Shareholder, Larkin Hoffman (Minnesota)
- Melissa Salhab Sykes, Partner, McGinnis Lochridge (Texas)
- Yongchang ‘John’ Tang, Senior Joint Partner, DHH (China: Beijing)
- Steve Tugend, Director, Kegler Brown (Ohio)